


We arrived in Panama City in the afternoon. The company's driver, Ricardo, picked us up and took us to the company apartment. After we settled in, we did some shopping and explored the mall across the street from the apartment. M and E went out to dinner with some business associates while J and I stayed at the apartment and watched the world from 15 stories up.
Driving in Panama is CRAZY. They have absolutely no street lights and only the occasional Alto sign. The honking never stops. The honk can mean:
"Just letting you know I'm here."
"You can go"
"Don't go"
"Get out of the way"
And I have no idea how you're supposed to know which honk means what. Holy moly! There was a lot of traffic. But everyone seemed to know what they were doing and it some how worked. But just try to imagine our intersections without stoplights. They don't stop. The traffic just sort of flows.
I saw third world poverty for the first time on the way to the apartment. I wish I could have taken a picture of it because it's not something you can explain.
No comments:
Post a Comment